How to Make Your Ottawa Home’s Lower Level Look More Attractive after Basement Foundation Repair
Have you all but given up on your basement? Never fear! The lower level of your property can look amazing, and probably more attractive than you could have imagined. After getting all any basement foundation repair needs taken care of, just try some of these ways to turn it from drab to fabulous.
- Repaint the walls a light shade. It’s a scientific fact that, to the human eye, dark colours seem to recede and light colours appear to come forward. Use this colour psychology to your advantage and paint the walls and ceiling of your post-basement foundation repair space a lighter hue. You don’t have to stick with shades of white; any colour will suffice as long as it’s not too dark.
- Add a lot of lighting. Most basements either lack windows or have very small ones that don’t let in natural sunlight. However, you can still make any basement more appealing by making certain there’s plenty of light to go around. Install lights in the ceiling, and have lamps around the room(s). This will make the space feel brighter and less like an underground cavern.
- Raise the ceiling. If possible, hire a contractor to raise the ceiling. This may not be an option in all cases, but if you have a drop ceiling, you may be able to raise it a few inches. Even a little bit will make the room seem bigger.
- If the ceiling is low, buy low-profile furniture. Lower-profile sofas, love seats, televisions, desks, chairs and tables will make the ceiling seem taller. This is a decorator’s technique that tricks the human eye.
- Add artwork to the walls. The more you make the basement look like any other decorated room in your home, the less it will seem the “odd man out”. Don’t clutter the walls, though. A few carefully-placed pictures will do the trick nicely.
The more time you spend on turning your usable basement area into an attractive living space, the more you’ll get out of it. There’s no need to assume that it will always feel like a dank cave. Basement foundation repair and decorating touches will transform it into exactly what you and your family need.
Tired of the way your basement looks and feels? Call The Crack Doctor for basement waterproofing options, and start to enjoy every level of your Ottawa, Toronto or Pickering home!