Without Mould Removal, Your Toronto Home Could Suffer Serious Damages

Mould isn’t just unattractive and foul-smelling; it’s also a huge problem for Toronto homeowners.  In fact, mould can cause serious damages on the interior and exterior of your property.  That’s why mould removal is essential.

Mould 101

First, let’s consider what mould is: A fungus.  As a fungal species, mould is able to grow and reproduce when conditions are perfect.  Those conditions include places that are high in moisture content.  Thus, the higher the humidity level in the air, the bigger the mould gets. In addition to water, mould also needs some sort of substance on which to feed.   Ideally, mould enjoys wood, paper, fabrics, etc.  In other words, the building blocks of a home!  Finally, mould requires a temperature that hovers between 21-32 degrees Celsius (about 70-90 degrees Fahrenheit).

Mould Is More Than Surface-Deep

Generally speaking, mould does not go away on its own.  Even if conditions aren’t perfect, it will merely go into dormancy.  That’s one of the reasons that many homeowners may think that they have “beaten” their mould problem in the winter, only to have it return with a vengeance in the spring.  The mould hasn’t gone away; it’s just waiting for the right time to spread.

Many people assume that the overall answer to their mould problems is to clean the surface that’s overcome with mould spores.  While cleaning is certainly warranted, even the strongest cleanser cannot remove the cause of the mould.  In other words, cleaning up mouldy spots is only solving the visible problem; it isn’t dealing with the main source, which is moisture.

Eliminate Humidity and Water to Eliminate Mould

The secret to true and lasting mould removal is to rid your house of humidity.  This usually means waterproofing the foundation in some way, which will eliminate the possibility of the mould returning.  After all, if the right conditions are not provided, mould will have no reason to gather and spread.

Could Mould Be Damaging Your Home?

Interestingly, you may not even realize that you have a mould problem until it has gotten very serious, and your home is being damaged.  Remember: Mould loves to eat wood, and can cause rot to cross-beams, flooring and walls.  Even if the mould is removed from those surfaces, the damage can be quite costly.  Some homeowners have had to spend tens of thousands of dollars to make their properties safe and livable after a significant mould issue has occurred.

If you think that you might have a mould problem because you’ve noticed a mildew aroma, have seen black or white spots on walls in the basement, or have the suspicion that your foundation is being damaged by a fungal substance, please contact The Crack Doctor immediately.  A free evaluation will help you determine the best way to proceed so you can feel secure and healthy in your house again.